Getting Married in Italy for Canadian Citizens

Canadian couple getting married in Tuscany Photo by Rosapaola Lucibelli

Italian law requires EACH non-Italian wishing to get married in Italy to present a “Nulla Osta” or equivalent documentation. Efffetti Wedding Planners in Tuscany will guide you through the process to obtain the required documentation.

The Canadian Government does not issue “Nulla Osta”, but a certificate of no impediment. However, to assist Canadians to meet the Italian requirements, the Canadian Embassy in Rome issues a declaration containing the relevant information.

Requests for the declaration can be made by appointment or by mail. Consulate delivery service standards are 3 business days from the time they receive a complete request.


Want to play it safe?

Obtaining a Declaration (Nulla Osta) from the Embassy in Rome

(please be aware of a recent change – read bullet 3)

You must first complete and swear an affidavit to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. You may swear the affidavit in Canada, or at the Canadian Embassy in Rome upon appointment.

If you wish to swear the affidavit at the Embassy, complete the Affidavit form | Open the Page with the form * before coming to the Embassy, but do not sign it. You will need to sign it at the Embassy in the presence of a Consular Officer.

Come to the Embassy at your scheduled appointment time with the following documents:

  • Complete and swear an affidavit.
    • The affidavit may be sworn in Canada in front of a Canadian Notary, in Italy at the Embassy of Canada in Rome or abroad at any Embassy, Consulate or Honorary Consulate of Canada.
  • Submit (even via registered post if you are not swearing it in Rome) the sworn affidavit to the Embassy of Canada in Rome together with the following supporting documents:
  1. Certified true copy of his/her own valid Canadian passport
  2. Proof of Canadian Citizenship:
    1. for persons born in Canada, an original or certified copy of the long format birth certificate which includes information on the parents (If you were born in Québec: Only birth certificates issued on or after January 1, 1994, by “Le Directeur de l’état civil” in the province of Québec are accepted)
    2. For persons born outside of Canada, original or certified copy of the Certificate of Canadian citizenship
  3. Original or certified true copy of a marriage record search issued by each Canadian province and/or territory where he/she has resided since reaching the age of 16
  4. Original or certified copy of a final divorce certificate or decree(if divorced)
  5. Original or certified copy of a deceased spouse’s death certificate (if widowed)
  6. Certified copy of the fiancé(s) valid passport
  7. Information about the fiancé(s) full name, date and place of birth, residence, father’s name and mother’s full maiden name
  8. Parents’ consent (if the person is under marriageable age)
  9. Copy of the consular processing fee payment receipt
  10. Mailing/pick-up instructions (mailing is done by registered post to a Canadian or Italian address at no additional cost)

Please note: If you and your fiancé(e) are both Canadian, you will each need to swear an affidavit and obtain separate declarations.


Fees are payable for the declaration (or for two declarations, in the case where both persons are Canadian citizens), and for the affidavit(s), if sworn at the Embassy. The fees are non-refundable. For more information, please see Fees and Method of Payment.

Swearing the Affidavit in Canada or Another Country

The Affidavit can also be sworn in front of a notary public in Canada or a consular official at Canadian Embassies or Consulates in other countries. In this case it is not necessary to come in person to the Embassy in Rome. The original Affidavit and certified true copies of the above-mentioned documents can be sent to the Embassy in Rome.

What to Do After Obtaining the Declaration

  1. Present the declaration to the competent “Prefettura – Ufficio Legalizzazioni” (provincial authority) to be formally authenticated.
  2. After it has been authenticated, you must present it to the Marriage Office of the Municipality in Italy. Banns are waived if neither party is Italian nor residing in Italy.
  3. The Municipal authorities will request the couple to return (usually in 2 or 3 days) with an interpreter (if one or both parties do not understand Italian) to execute a declaration before the “Ufficiale dello Stato Civile” (Registrar of Vital Statistics) of the Municipality. Arrangements are then concluded, and a date is fixed for the civil marriage ceremony.
  4. WEDDING CEREMONY: Two witnesses PLUS an interpreter (if necessary) must be present at the civil marriage ceremony. Your assigned wedding planner will take care of making all the necessary arrangements with the selected town hall to confirm the wedding date.


  • The waiting period (from the date the required documents are presented to the marriage office, to the date of the civil marriage ceremony) may vary depending on the time of year and on the number of requests received by the municipality. (Efffetti has great connections with most of the town halls in Italy and can make arrangements on your behalf and book the date well in advance for you)
  • Municipalities levy marriage fees for non-residents.
  • A woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days has to obtain a waiver from the competent “Procura della Repubblica” (Court) in Italy in order to marry in Italy. Depending on the locality, this law may no longer apply. You are advised to check with the Comune where you wish to marry. Please note that the procedure to get a special permit as described above is mostly non applicable due to huge delays at the courts and documents needed

The Canadian Embassy in Rome cannot assist with marriage arrangements. If you do not have someone in Italy who can handle the arrangements with the local Municipality (or you cannot stay in Italy long enough to handle them yourself), you can refer to our agency to make the necessary arrangements.


Until recently, and we have no reason to think it has changed, divorced spouses will need to bring a Final Divorce Decree Certificate, whose signature has been legalized at the FCO in Canada & at the Italian Embassy in Canada. this document will not be given back. If you have a certified true copy, the legalization may be requested on the original signature AND on the notary public who made the certified copy.


Please refer to the religious weddings page here

This is an abstract from the Canadian government site for reference and updates check it here

Enquire below to be contacted by one of our Wedding Planners in Tuscany and Italy

Please Note: After filling in the form, please make sure you check your inbox for our reply, if you do not see any, please look into your spam folder. It may happen that our reply email are captured by spam filters, if so, please add our address to your white list. Thanks
Enquiry Form:
* indicates required field

Please Note: After filling in the form, please make sure you check your inbox for our reply, if you do not see any, please look into your spam folder. It may happen that our reply emails are captured by your anti-spam filters, if so, please add our address to your white list.
*Read here our Privacy Policy


*By inquiring through this site, you agree to the privacy policy terms. Your registration implies agreement to receive updates, information and more generically, communication from this site administrators and representative and from the team of Efffetti Wedding Planners In Tuscany and Events in Italy in relation to your request. Your information is kept and used according to the Legislative Decree N° 196/2003. Efffetti will not sell, rent or pass your data to any third party without your prior written approval. Under art. 7 of the Legislative Decree N° 196/2003 it is your right, among other things, to know your how your personal data treated is by us, in addition to requesting its integration, correction or deletion.

An Italian wedding coordinator will reply to you requesting a non-binding call, which will help you and us focus on the exact requirements for your wedding.

Getting Married in Italy for Canadian Citizens